Tuesday, July 6, 2010

JUD...

I have been fortunate to learn how to playboat from many of the the best in the Inland Northwest. Peter Brouseau, Libberty Hoffer and Chris Hoffer taught me my first freestyle lessons in a lake and on the upper spokane. I was a disciple of Dave Turner during the evening summer sessions at Mini C. in the old Booster 55. Chris P. taught gave me the tools to cartwheel. I have Steve B. and Dustin S. to push me to learn new tricks summer after summer.

Amongst these local heros, there was one person who year after year made me aspire to the next level, to learn the next trick, and to keep smiling while I paddle: Jud. Jud Keiser has seen more time on the water in giant neon tupperware than many of us combined, boated almost as far as Terry Miller, and has been a pillar of playboating in Spokane/Post Falls for the last decade.

In 2010 Jud is nearing his 50th birthday and has yet again upped the anti for everyone in the inland northwest. Last week Jud placed 7th in the U.S. Freestyle Kayak Team Trials held in Missoula, Mt. He was only 2x Space Godzilla's away from making the team and will be an alternate for the worlds in Germany. Every time I get to paddle with him he is still growing as a paddler and smiling like a kid in a candy store. This accomplishment at the team trials is tremendous in itself. It is also the next amazing step in the path Jud is paving, allowing people like myself to follow on training wheels now that pavement is there.

Congratulations Jud for another amazing display of talent in a huge theater celebrated by people from all over the nation. Thank you for the dedication and excellence; you inspire in all of us here in the Inland Northwest.

2 comments:

iSurf Videos said...

Well said Travis. I couldn't agree with you more. Congrats Jud! You've earned it.

mickster said...

Jud has surpassed us old timers due to his dedication, work ethic, time commitment, and inherent skill. Both JP and I recall teaching Jud many years ago at Dead Dog, on the fine line of dipping his upstream stern edge into the hole so that he too could do a stern spin turn back into the hole. Hell, weren't much later than that he was outdoing us all! Way to go Jud!!
Seeya,
Mick