Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Every Year: Toxicodendron radicans

Every Year I wonder what the heck these little rash like bumps are on my skin and why they spread like fire. Every year I diagnose the problem as if it was new. Every year I try to figure out how I would contract such a nasty bug and how it would spread ALL over my body. Then finally, for the 4th year in a row I realize I walked straight into it on my approach to the river bank for some play boating.

The logic is simple - I want to paddle; therefore all small plants in front of me on the way to the put in are to be ignored, regardless of past experience. I remember Dave Turner sitting in the eddy at Mini C. as someone climbed the bank with kids walking through the stuff. He cringed and said something to the effect of "How could they walk through that stuff, especially with kids!". I stared at the bank trying to identify the problem, and only saw soil erosion.

So the moral of the story is please use caution out there and avoid these nasty little plants because the results are not fun... I can assure you.

1 comment:

iSurf Videos said...

I learned a lesson in the 1st grade after getting into Poison Oak in the forest behind my elementary school at recess. Itchy, painful rashes soon covered my body, some in worse places than others. My mom painted me with calamine lotion. I was miserable for 2-3 days.

You have no idea how many times I've been out kayaking and said to someone "Do you know what poison ivy is? You're standing in it"!"

For example, the 6 teen age boys Hoffer and I watched playing frisbee in a bumper crop of it at Zoo Wave 3 years ago. They thought I was just trying to trick them into jumping into the river. "Just wait" I snickered empathetically.

For the same reasons, although I love dogs I won't touch them on river trips.

OCD about Poison Ivy? Maybe ..... but I learned my lesson when I was 6 years old.